April 27, 2007

Price of a Puppy in Japan

Hello! I didn't Blog for a while because I was in Japan for a few weeks, just came back! I have to tell you what I saw in a pet store in my hometown in Yokohama. I went to visit a pet store and see what's available there. My conclusion, the labeling laws there are not as strict as it is here. I saw some treats that lists NO ingredients, or treats that obviously look like made with preservatives and colorings but not identified as one of the ingredients. I also saw this a little disturbing treats, Horse Jerky..., dried meat of horse for dogs...

It made me sad to see small animals, kittens and pups on sale in the store. The store also has a vet's office inside, and they seem to live in pretty clean environment. I saw a tiny toy poodle puppy there. Guess how much he costs... You will be amazed... A puppy in a pet store.

A few hundred dollars?

Try again!

One thousand?

Nope, not enough.

Three thousand?

You have a way more to go.

Five thousand?

You have to climb up and up further.

The price of this puppy was about $9000.00 (US). Yes, nine thousand dollars! I had to count how many zeros were there in that price tag because that's about one million Japanese yen!!

He was sound asleep and I couldn't see how pretty he was, but let me tell you, I believe my rescued huskies are as good of dogs as the $9000 dollar puppy!

Of course, he was THE MOST expensive puppy in the store, but the puppy price seemed to start from a few thousand dollars. FYI, I am against puppy mills and store-sold animals... there are so many loving dogs looking for home, and guess what, if I had a $9000 to spare on a dog, I can adopt a friendly dog and donate the rest of the money to save many other homeless dogs!

Tail wags till next time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, oh WOW. 9000 for a poodle? My mother is a huge fan of poodles. She has one so I can't wait to tell her what he might be worth. He's super tiny and super cranky because he has never heard the word 'no' in his life.

ToMoKo said...

Hello again! I grew up with a white toy poodle in Japan so poodles have a special place in my heart :) But for sure, my parents didn't pay $9000!!!

Anonymous said...

Haha, they are cute, but not that cute! I wouldn't sell any of mine for any amount, but wow. $9000. My mother's poodle is Izzy's size and he's adorable, but he is so freaking mean because he is so spoiled. That's why I'm very obsessive about training with my three. Gracie is supposed to start her CGC class in a few weeks so she can work as a therapy dog.

ToMoKo said...

Good luck with your classes! Kiki has done her CGC and passed a therapy dog test with TDI. We did a few visits but lately, we have been swamped and haven't done anything in a long while...